Monday, May 16, 2011

Homemade Bird Feeder {Kid Craft}


The sun is finally shining here at our house and I love hearing all the birds chirping outside my windows!  Since my strawberries and peaches are not ready for the birds to eat yet, *AHEM* the kids and I wanted to do something to make their return more enjoyable.  We made the feeder using junk recyclable items found around the house.

You'll need:
Bird seed
paper plate
empty water bottle
piece of string
Peanut butter (optional)
Cut a small square out at the bottom of the bottle, this is where the seeds will come out. Don't cut it too big!


 Hot glue the bottle to your paper plate.  We spread a little peanut butter around the plate for an extra treat for those birds.

 Use a funnel and fill the bottle with bird seed.  I covered our square hole with some tape while we filled it up, so it didn't all come spilling out before we were ready.  Remove the tape after you hang it outside and gently let some of the seeds come out onto the plate.

 Tie the string tightly around the top of bottle and put the cap back on.  I tied a knot down near the neck of the bottle, and then another knot at the top to make a loop to hang it on a tree or hook.

 Hang it outside and then pray that birds actually come eat it, before your neighbors wonder why you hung trash on your front porch!!
PS. And seriously, if anyone knows how to keep the birds out of my peaches and strawberries this year, please let me know!!


Linking up to

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My little guy would love this! He begged for a bird house at Hobby Lobby the other day. Lucky for me they had one already painted on clearance for $4! Maybe if we do this a bird will come along for some food and a place to sleep. THanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

Mimi said...

Love this idea! Because of construction close by we have so many sweet birds in our backyard. Can't wait to try this! Found this at A Little Tipsy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...