Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sugared Almonds

This post may seem like an unimportant page to read, but I wanted to share this tutorial with a lot of pictures before I posted tomorrow's recipe for Strawberry Feta Salad.  Mmm. It's my favorite salad.  The sugared almonds are definitely a major part of this deliciousness. Here we go.


All you will need is sugar and almonds.  I like to use the sliced almonds, but slivered would work well too. 
I have never actually measured the almond to sugar ratio.  I just grab a handful of almonds, then a handful of sugar.  My pan looks like this.  
It has always worked out just fine! Let's face it, almonds are really good as they are. Add some sugar and WOW, they are even better.  You can't lose. Add a little sugar, or add a lot; it'll be great.

If the thought of not measuring freaks you out, start with a 2:1 ratio of almonds:sugar.  AND make a double batch because you'll end up eating half of them before you put them on your salad.  Promise.




Mix the almonds and sugar together, and on med-high heat you'll just keep stirring.  This is what it will start to look like (if you can see the detail in the picture) the sugar will start to clump together.  Just keep stirring.

After a couple of minutes, the almonds will start to brown and sugar will begin melting.  However, we're not quite done yet. 


Finally, when it becomes this beautiful golden color and the sugar seems to be sticky on the almonds, you are done.  This whole process should have taken about 6-7 minutes.  Just watch it because they could go from this point to overcooked pretty quick. 

Spread out the almonds on a plate so they don't form one big clump.  They will be hot, so if one falls on the counter, DO NOT just pick it up and pop in your mouth.  You won't be able to taste the salad until the next day....
Aren't they gorgeous? They are super delicious too! Be sure to check back tomorrow for the whole Strawberry Feta Salad recipe with homemade Poppyseed Dressing!! Mmmm. My mouth is watering already!






Linking up to:

1 comment:

WobiSobi said...

Oh my gosh yum!! I am so doing this!! I love the name of your blog!! I hope you have a fantastic day. and thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment. Hugs, Anne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...