Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Beach Towel Robes

Believe it or not, summer is right around the corner!! It seems to sneak up on me every year, but I sure am a summer girl!  Fireworks, snowcones, and SUN, SUN, SUN! I like to do a lot of fun things with the kids, but for sure one of our favorite activites is swimming. 

When it's time to get out of the pool though, ever notice how chaotic things can get?  Goose bumps appear, and suddenly everyone is starving and has to go to the bathroom.  We make a mad dash for the car, while I'm trying to carry a baby and all of our CRAP junk we brought, all while trying to keep our towels wrapped around our shivering bodies.   

 "Gee, how I wish we had extra hands, " I often thought to myself. 

Well, now my kids can carry their own stuff because their hands are free!
I saw this idea in Family Fun a few years back, and was excited to make them last year for my little squirts.  (AND, they are SO easy!)



 I picked up these swim towels last summer at Wal-Mart for $5.00 each.  Just fold the towel in half so it is inside out.  (The picture shown below is not inside out. Oops) 

 Do a simple straight stitch up both sides of the towel, but leave some room at the top for arm holes.

This is about how much space I left for the arm holes. 

I cut a half circle for the neck hole.  BE CAREFUL!  It probably does not have to be as big as you think.  I may or may not have had to stitch some of it back up, as the opening was too big and kept falling off their shoulders.  Use a shirt to measure or start with a small half-circle and then work your way bigger as needed. 

I did a little zig-zag stitch around the neck hole because I liked how it looks.  You could do a straight stitch as well.  I left some space so it would fray a little bit. (We're so rugged around here!)


Hit the pool in High Style and ROCK that swimwear!


Linking up to:

9 comments:

Steph Jacobson said...

So cute! I'll be making one of these for my son. We're going to the lake in a few weeks, and this will be perfect!

Chad and Mary Beth @ Nothing But Country said...

Love the beach towel robes!! I think I will make my kiddlets one too.

Thanks for sharing. Found you from Lil' Luna

Would love if you would join our 1st linky party at http://www.nothingbutcountry.com we want to feature favorites each week on tuesday and would love if you would participate too. :)

Unknown said...

These are great! They would be so perfect for my 3 yr old. Thanks for sharing on DIY under $5!

Stacy Clayburn said...

Love this idea!! Def. gonna do some for the kiddos. I found your blog on Chef in Training, check mine out: www.mykidsdinner.blogspot.com

AsylumTanya said...

I love this! I am definitely not buying a cover-up at the store after seeing this! Thanks for sharing!

AsylumTanya said...

Oh, by the way, I am your newest follower. I would love it if you came over to Greetings From the Asylum and followed me too!

Blissful & Domestic said...

so cute and perfect for summer! how fun!

The BS Bunch said...

love this idea! So easy and so helpful with kids! I will definitely be making some! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Easy and functional, my favourite!!
I would love if you would share this at our weekly Playdate at http://beneaththerowantree.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-and-improved-playdate-link-party.html

Cheers!
Lori
www.beneaththerowantree.com
Come & Play :: Playdate

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...