Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My favorite Pina Colada


Winter is not my favorite season.  I don't love getting cold, I'm not a skier, and once Christmas is over I'm ready for spring!  One thing I DO love during winter though, is that American Idol starts!! (cue music here)
For the last 5 or 6 seasons now, a group of gals from my neighborhood get together weekly and "watch" the show. I use the term watch loosely, as there is a lot of talking and laughing going on. And eating. Let's be honest here, that's really the fun part! (Hey, it's not like we're watching "The Biggest Loser"!)  Nothing warms my heart more in the winter than time spent eating laughing with friends and family....


This year I decided to *feature* a new drink every week--it was a good chance to try some new recipes that I don't usually get to make. So of course I'll share those drinks here! The first drink I wanted to share is my favorite Pina Colada recipe.  Whenever we go out to eat at restaurants, I usually just get water, but I often bend that rule for a Pina Colada! And until I got this recipe, the Coladas I made at home were just not as good.  That all changed when my friend Trish made these for us and after one sip I was hooked.

You'll need just 3 ingredients for this recipe, plus some ice. (so, technically, I guess that makes FOUR ingredients)
1 can Cream of Coconut (found by the drink mixers at your local grocers) 
A can of crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits
Pina Colada mixer (this probably isn't really necessary, but I like to use it because it makes the cream of coconut go farther)
Ice
 The measurements are really loose here. I just do it to taste.  In a blender add 1/2 can cream of coconut, 1/2 can pineapple tidbits and juice and pour some of the mixer in. Add the ice and blend away.  Then I taste it and decide if it needs more pineapple or more colada flavor.  One blenderful makes about 4 good sized servings. Make another blenderful with the remaining ingredients and you've got a rip-roaring good time.



All of these ingredients are easy to keep on hand so you can blend up something delicious any time a friend pops in!
Party on friends!
Amy

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...